Saturday, April 10, 2010

Individualized Education

As many of you may know, my classroom is an alternative education class NOT a special education class, even though well over half of my students are diagnosed as emotionally disturbed/special ed. And, to be perfectly honest, the other half of them should be diagnosed as well... What this basically means is that I get very few extra resources (help from aides) in my class, since my class is a "regular ed" class... This also means that I have to spend many hours collecting data about my special ed students and going to many, long and most times uncomfortable IEP meetings. These meetings are mandated by law and must happen on a regular basis.

Lately, the IEP meetings have been rather entertaining.. One of my more tortured students threw her math book in the trash can and told us what she really thought of math. Another meeting ended with a mother daughter team running, yelling, and crying out of the building.

Anyway, on Friday when I saw that I would have to attend yet another IEP meeting, I secretly hoped that the parent wouldn't show, so that I could spend some time grading. In the end I was glad that both student and parent showed up, because the meeting provided a great setting for the conversation of the day.

Me- "You're going to be 18 soon, what do you want to do when you finish high school?"
Student- (Spoken in a very serious tone) "Well, you guys are probably going to laugh at me."
Me- "No, you always have great ideas."
Student- "Well, all my life all I've ever wanted to do is be a pro wrestler. But not the kind in the Olympics, the kind like on WWE."
Me- (trying as hard as I can, not to look at the other teacher who's trying not to laugh) "Wow, I bet you'd be really good at that."
Student's Mother- "Yeah, it's all he's ever wanted to do, we watch wrestling all the time."
Student-(spoken with big smile) "I've been practicing all my life."

There you have it, I'm not only shaping academic minds, but I'm also teaching future Pro Wrestlers. My mom would be so proud....

2 comments:

  1. Your mom is so proud! I love it that you have the opportunity to plant seeds that might shape the lives of these youngsters. You may not see it right now, but 5 years from now someone may decide to get sober and break the cycle he is stuck in, and he/she will remember that beautiful Miss Fuller who cared enough to not give up on him/her.

    I know that the hours are long, the pay is too low, the rewards of seeing kids leap forward in their basic skills don't come often, and many days are downright frustrating. Once in awhile some little guy who has refused to participate will write a sentence, or read aloud and someone may even thank you. Those are the days that you know that all your efforts are well worthwhile, and you can go on!

    You are doing an awesome job, and I love hearing your stories each day. It is interesting that the stories you share with me are very similar to the ones I experienced and shared with you when I was teaching in like situations. The faces change, but the stories are nearly the same.

    Keep on keeping on; you are making a difference, and each one of these kids is so fortunate to rub shoulders and have your influence in their life.

    I love you and you continue to make your momma so proud. XXOO

    PS One of my most memorable IEP's was the one that I thought the mom was taking notes on some electronic pad. The phone rang, and as I returned to the table I noticed she was playing on one of those $1.00 games--it was BINGO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope-it wasn't BINGO it was Poker!

    ReplyDelete